What is Vaulting Ambitions?
Vaulting Ambitions is an incubator program developed under the banner of The Business of Being Creative and hosted by Expressions Media in partnership with the City of Adelaide at multi-purpose creative hub, Vault 134 (located on Hutt Street).
The program is open to creative practitioners of all backgrounds who wish to develop skills in business and promotion, while also making new connections with fellow creatives. A core group of up to ten participants will be drawn from applications to complete the program free of charge over the course of 2021 (comprising minimum days of participation).
The monthly schedule of sessions includes workshops (led by artists / professional practitioners and each with a specific theme / focus), panel discussions, mentoring sessions, networking events, artist showcases and creative practice / development opportunities (making use of Vault 134 facilities).
Other opportunities include small group meetups, a monthly challenge to keep projects stimulated and on track, online goal setting, and casual coffee/drop in sessions.
Session topics include: publicity and promotion, financial literacy, intellectual property and copyright law, wellbeing, resilience and work/life balance, digital marketing, digital storytelling and photography, developing your mission, vision and purpose, contract law, business literacy, arts administration, one page CV and showreel training, cultural awareness training, accessibility training, and grant writing. Input will also be sought from participants regarding areas of need, with sessions developed to cater to these topics.
Who can participate?
Creative practitioners of all backgrounds who wish to develop skills in business and promotion, while also making new connections with fellow creatives are encouraged to apply. This incorporates everyone from those just starting out to those who are more established in their creative enterprise – as long as it can be identified how the program would enhance such practice.
Participants must be able to commit to involvement in sessions spread across 2021 (note that this will comprise a monthly program of workshops, events and check-ins, and will be a mix of on-site and remote interactions to be delivered with some flexibility).
Outside of core creatives selected through the application process, other casual participants will be able to access regular, discrete offerings during the project, which will include free events and those offered at a nominal cost.
Creatives who are currently working on a project or idea are encouraged to apply as goal-setting and check-ins will ensure they are kept on track with a goal to have an established concept by program completion.
We encourage applications from anyone involved in creative practice who would benefit from this program. There are no age limits or restrictions for participants.
What are the benefits of participation?
- Training across a range of topics related to the business of being creative
- Individual mentoring
- Networking with other creatives
- The opportunity to participate in showcase events
- Use of Vault 134 facilities (hot-desking, meeting space, professional guidance)
What does the program involve?
Participation in Vaulting Ambitions will include the following:
- Fortnightly training sessions covering a range of core topics related to the business of being creative (conducted on Monday or Thursday evenings at Vault 134)
- Fortnightly mentoring sessions (conducted at a time negotiated with individual mentors)
- Weekly check-in sessions with whole group (at a time negotiated with participants)
- Monthly showcase event / networking session
- Creative practice – participants encouraged to work at Vault 134 during the course of the program
All activities will be conducted according to the Expressions Media COVID-Safe plan (including social distancing, density requirements and checking in). While participants will be required on site at Vault 134 for a number of sessions, others may be conducted remotely or off-site. Should COVID restrictions be altered during the course of the program, arrangements will be adjusted accordingly.
- Applications open: 22 April
- Applications close: 10 May
- Applicants notified: late May
- Program begins: Monday 14 June (evening). Weekly check ins, and fortnightly training and mentoring sessions begin with a welcome event (2 hours per week participation with 24/7 access to Vault 134 space)
- Showcase events held in July and September, with networking events to be held in June and August
- Friday 22 October: program ends with a graduation showcase event
- Participants will have access to the Vault 134 facilities between 15 June and 22 October
Innovation and quality: A clearly articulated area of creative practice, with a vision for how this can be further developed (with priority given to projects that emphasise innovation, sustainability and/or diversity).
Viability: Participants have identified how involvement in Vaulting Ambitions can assist in the development of their creative enterprise with a demonstrable commitment to participating in the program.
Connection between creative practice and the City of Adelaide: A demonstrated connection between the participant (and their creative enterprise) and the City of Adelaide, either currently or as anticipated in the future.
Diversity: A capacity to expand, cultivate and enhance cultural experiences and opportunities that attract and connect with diverse, new and/or hard to reach audiences. This could be in relation to program participants or potential audiences for the creative enterprise.
An evaluation panel, comprising representatives from Expressions Media and the City of Adelaide will review applications and select up to ten participants based on suitability according to the above criteria. Applicants will be notified of the outcome by the end of May with program activities commencing in June.
Please make contact with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org